[Jastadd] Repeated non-compatible code changes

From: Eric Bodden <eric.bodden_at_ec-spride.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:28:41 +0100

Hi all.

As some of you probably know by now, we are having a nightly build
process for the abc compiler and some of its related projects,
including JastAdd. During the past few weeks it has happened
repeatedly that there were non-compatible code changes in JastAdd,
such as renaming of AST nodes etc. The way this currently works
(without announcement, without a change log and without instructions
on how to adapt to the new structure), this can be pretty annoying for
projects like ours, as we need to spend a lot of time to figure out
how to update our client code to make it work again.

Of course I know that changes are necessary to keep the system up to
date, but I would appreciate if we could find some solution that would
allow "clients" like us to update their code base quickly according to
those changes. This could be as simple as writing appropriate
instructions in the commit logs or something more elaborate. In
addition, there is a mailing list that JastAdd maintainers could
subscribe to: http://mailman.cs.mcgill.ca/mailman/listinfo/abc-testlogs
This list receives nightly result emails from our integrated build. An
example email from last night is attached.

I wonder what would be your take on this.

Best wishes,
Eric
--
Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE