Re: [Jastadd] Beaver + fullCopy()

From: Jesper Öqvist <jesper.oqvist_at_cs.lth.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:37:27 +0200

Hello again,

We can not currently do anything to "fix" this problem with Beaver in
JastAdd. The value field in beaver.Symbol is final. It is required to be
set during the parsing as all the parser actions may use this field. For
example:

             case 626: // resource_declarations = resource_declaration.a
             {
                     final Symbol _symbol_a = _symbols[offset + 1];
                     final ResourceDeclaration a = (ResourceDeclaration)
_symbol_a.value;
                      return new List().add(a);
             }

The problem here lies with the Beaver API and it would be a bad idea to
design around this flaw in JastAdd since a new version of Beaver (1.0)
will be released in the near future that, from what I've seen in the
pre-release version, does not use this final field. Hopefully it will be
simple to move to the new Beaver version for existing JastAdd projects.

Developers using Beaver 9.10 or previous together with JastAdd could
build a custom version of Beaver. This approach only requires these
changes in beaver.Symbol:

--- Java1.4Frontend/beaver/Symbol.java (revision 9319)
+++ Java1.4Frontend/beaver/Symbol.java (working copy)
_at__at_ -11,7 +11,7 @@
  /**
   * Represents a symbol of a grammar.
   */
-public class Symbol
+public class Symbol implements Cloneable
  {
      static private final int COLUMN_FIELD_BITS = 12;
      static private final int COLUMN_FIELD_MASK = (1 <<
COLUMN_FIELD_BITS) - 1;
_at__at_ -43,7 +43,7 @@
      /**
       * Value assigned to this symbol.
       */
- public final Object value;
+ public Object value;

      /**
       * Numeric symbol ID.
_at__at_ -160,4 +160,10 @@
      {
          return end;
      }
+
+ public Symbol clone() throws CloneNotSupportedException {
+ Symbol copy = (Symbol) super.clone();
+ copy.value = copy;
+ return copy;
+ }